1. In this Statement, a reference to
• "Church" means The Uniting Church in Australia;
• "Congregation" means Dapto Uniting Church Congregation (DUC), who has adopted this Statement.
• "APPs" means the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
2. The Congregation will comply with the APPs. If there is any discrepancy between
this Statement and the APPs, then the APPs will prevail.
3. Subject to paragraph 4, the Congregation will only use information for the primary purpose
for which it is collected. In most cases, the purposes will relate to the spiritual, pastoral, social, educational
and administrative functions of the Congregation.
4. Those functions include maintaining personal information for the purpose of analysing
the role of the Church in society and recording the family histories of its members. The information may be
disclosed to scholars studying the Church and to relatives of Church members.
5. The Congregation will only use personal information about an individual
for a secondary purpose (ie something beyond the scope of the primary purpose) if that individual
has consented or the use is otherwise permitted by the APPs.
6. The Congregation will take reasonable steps to keep personal information
secure and, subject to the APPs, will comply with any request from a person to correct or remove his or her information.
7. Personal information collected by the Congregation may be sensitive information as defined
in the Act (eg information about a person's religious beliefs). As a church Congregation, operating as a
registered not-for-profit entity under Uniting Church Regulations and the Australian Tax Office Charity Regulations,
the Congregation is permitted to collect sensitive information without a person's express consent. However,
the Congregation will endeavour to seek consent from a person if sensitive information is sought for something
other than the primary functions of the Congregation outlined in paragraph 3.
8. The operating procedures (whether or not they are formalised in a manual) of the Congregation
will comply with this policy and the APPs.
9. The Congregation will appoint a Privacy Officer who will be responsible for storing,
correcting and giving people access to personal information collected about them. The Congregation may charge
fees for access to personal information, if providing the information will incur costs to the Congregation.
The Privacy Officer will be empowered to deal with any complaints that the Congregation has not complied
with this Statement or the APPs.
This Statement has been adopted by Dapto Uniting Church in order to meet with the requirements of the
Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act), the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (the Amendment Act)
and the Privacy Regulation 2013 (the Regulations), together with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) as
set out in the Act, the Amendment Act and the Regulations.
- Approved by the Church Council of Dapto Uniting Church on 19 October 2014.
If you have any questions about this Statement, please contact the Dapto Uniting Church's
Privacy Officer, Les Smith, by telephoning (02) 4256 3351 or by EMAIL